Feb 14, 2014
Congressman John Boehner (R-West Chester) today invited 8th Congressional District high school students to participate in the 2014 Congressional Art Competition, An Artistic Discovery.
“The Congressional Art Competition gives high school students from our local area an opportunity to share their work with the whole country,” Boehner said. “Each year, I am always impressed to see so many talented young artists in the 8th District, and I’m looking forward to this year’s competition.”
All artwork must be submitted to Boehner’s West Chester, Springfield or Troy district offices by 5:00 p.m. on March 26, 2014. Artwork will be displayed at the Springfield Museum of Art in Springfield, Ohio, from March 29, 2014, to April 14, 2014.
An awards ceremony will be held at the Springfield Museum of Art on Saturday, April 5, 2014, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Grand Prize entry will hang in the U.S. Capitol for one year. The winner will receive two round-trip plane tickets courtesy of a national airline to attend an awards ceremony with winners from other congressional districts in Washington, D.C., in June, and will be eligible for a $3000/year scholarship to a renowned college of arts and design.
- The First Place entry will hang in the Office of the Speaker of the House for one year.
- 8th District high school students (currently enrolled in grades nine through 12) may submit up to 3 pieces for judging. Students will only be eligible for one award each, however.
- Each piece can be no larger than 28”x 28”x 4” (including the frame) and can weigh no more than 15 lbs.
- Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution, and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been produced from an existing photo that is not owned by the student-artist, painting, graphic, advertisement or any other work produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Artwork of a violent or graphic nature will not be accepted.
More information can be found by clicking here, or visiting Boehner’s 8th District website, www.johnboehner.house.gov. Students may also direct inquiries to the Butler County office at 513-779-5400 or 800-582-1001.
Boehner represents Ohio’s 8th District, which includes all of Butler, Clark, Darke, Miami, and Preble counties, and the southernmost part of Mercer County. He was first elected to Congress in 1990.